Unilateral or bilateral loss of a primary molar
- Bilateral loss of primary teeth in the mandibular arch during transitional dentition.
- Maintenance of arch perimeter and incisor positions.
- Contraindicated in primary dentition.
- Indicated for loss of multiple primary teeth (bilaterally) in the maxillary arch.
- Acrylic button provides increased stability. Appliance prevents tipping and rotation movt of molars.
- Acrylic button may cause difficulty in maintaining hygiene in the rugae area.
- Loss of multiple teeth bilaterally (anterior and/or posterior)
- In the absence of abutment teeth.
The acrylic resin or modified Hawley space maintainers restore esthetic, function and prevent super-eruption of opposing teeth.